Juan Carlos

How to install and configure workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013

January 15th, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: CloudShare, Dev / Test, SharePoint | Tags: , , , , , , ,

Workflows are another key area in  SharePoint 2013 where Microsoft has made great investments. In fact, workflow platform is completely new in that it allows creation, usage and deployment of .NET Framework 4.x workflows in a SharePoint 2013 farm. Microsoft has completely redesigned the workflow platform for SharePoint by creating the Windows Azure Workflow Server (WAS) that enables us to completely separate the SharePoint side from the workflow one. Indeed, workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013 is completely independent from the SharePoint point of view that consumes and uses workflows through a web services façade.

Workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013 is not set up as part of the installation process of the platform. You can install WAS in an independent server or in a web frontend server after you have installed SharePoint 2013. There are two options to install Workflow infrastructure for SharePoint 2013:

Installing Workflow Manager 1.0

To simplify the workflow infrastructure setup, we are going to use the Web Platform Installer option explained above:

• Download the installer from the web and execute it.
  • In the “Spootlight” tab of the Web Platform Installer, look for the SharePoint workflow components by using the sesrch box.
  • In the search results, click the “Add” button for the Workflow Manager 1.0 row. Then, click the “Install” button.

image

• The installation process will install Workflow Manager 1.0 and configure all the necessary dependencies:
    • Execute ASP.NET IIS Registration Tool.
    • IIS Management Service.
    • Service Bus 1.0.
    • Microsoft Windows Fabric.
  • In order to start the installation process, just click the “I accept” button in the wizard.

image

• Once the installation process ends, you can start with the configuration as it’s described in the “Configure” step tab of the wizard. Click the “Continue” button so the wizard shows a summary window with all the components installed and configured.

image

Configuring Workflow Manager 1.0

Once you have installed Workflow Manager 1.0, a configuration window wizard is started:

• As you can see, there are three possibilities for configuring the Workflow Manager. Just click the first one:

image

• In the first configuration window of the wizard, you have to specify parameters like:
    • SQL Server where all the needed databases will be created.
    • Service account.
    • Key for certificates generation.

image

• Click the “Next” button in order to start the configuration. In the next window, check that all configurations are right and press the “Configuration” button.

image

• If everything is correct with the configuration, the next window will confirm that all configurations are complete without any errors or warnings.

image

Testing the installation

Well, once you have finished the configuration process you should verify that everything is right:

• Some databases (5) have been created. You can check databases created by using the SQL Server Management Studio.

image

• A new IIS site for workflow management has been created. You can check it by using the IIS Manager.

image

• The workflow service endpoint (by means of the site created) is ready to be utilized. You can check it by browsing the Workflow Management Site from IIS Manager.

image

Associating the workflow service with an existing Site Collection

Well, you are almost done and only need one additional configuration step in order to start creating and deploying SharePoint 2013 workflows: you need register the workflow service with an existing site collection by using the following Register-SPWorkflowService cmdlet. Execute it in the SharePoint 2013 Management Shell. Please ensure you use the following syntax:

Register-SPWorkflowService –SPSite “http://c4968397007/” –WorkflowHostUri “https://c4968397007:12290″ –AllowOAuthHttp

Finally, open SharePoint Designer 2013 and check you can create SharePoint 2013 workflows Sonrisa

image

And that’s all you need to know about how to setup the workflow infrastructure for SharePoint 2013.

Happy CloudSharing!

About the author:
With more than 10 years of experience in the ICT sector, what best define me is the interest and knowledge of new technologies as a natural way for attending and solving customer problems and needs. My career in the TIC sector, and particularly in the .NET platform started in 2003, just after finishing my studies at the university, in the global worldwide consultancy company Accenture. There, I had the opportunity of working during 3 years in big national and international projects performing different task and roles: development of VB.NET applications, application test and deployment, management of small development teams and so on. In May 2006 I left Accenture and started a new adventure at the Microsoft Innovation Center in Cantabria (CIIN) as a Solutions Architect. In this new stage, I had the opportunity of knowing deeply a variety of Microsoft technologies such as SharePoint, Office 365, Windows Azure, Visual Studio, SQL Server Reporting Services, BizTalk, LINQ, Entity Framework, etc. At the CIIN I haved performed evangelism activities just around these technologies, and I have had the honor of belonging to one of the more specialized organizations in SharePoint in Spain. In October 2013 I joined LKS where I perform a Consultant and Solutions Architect role skilled in SharePoint and Office 365 platforms. My daily work in LKS is focused on providing SharePoint & Office 365 advice and consultancy, specialized training and evangelism in the different projects and LKS customers where I’m involved.

37 Comments on “How to install and configure workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013”

1. […] source: How to install and configure workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013 […]

2. Mario Saccoia
    01/16/13, 3:45 am

thanks for post!!!

3. Karthik
    01/20/13, 12:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this..

4. Bruce Albany
    01/22/13, 4:20 pm

If you are using the SharePoint Server 2013 RTM Cloudshare template, then you will need to delete some left over GAC nasties from the Workflow Beta that was installed previously on this VM. Instructions are here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/a063b020-454b-4adf-a85d-fbc1b0b7ba03

5. ShahXeb Khan
    03/03/13, 10:58 am

nice but I’d like to add something that if you have Installed SharePoint Developer tools Preview for VS 12. then do uninstall this first then use this command Register-SPWorkflowService –SPSite “http://spsrv” –WorkflowHostUri “http://spsrv:12291/” –AllowOAuthHttp, I had the same problem. When I uninstalled tool then after restarted server I tried to run Register-SPWorkflowService.

6. Hayden Hancock
    03/12/13, 2:44 pm

I’ve followed your guide (4 times) and still can’t get this to work right. Everything seems to install fine, however, SharePoint Designer still does not show the SharePoint 2013 workflow Platform Type.

Under Manage Service Applications, I am only seeing a Workflow Service Application Proxy.

7. papouuu
    06/04/13, 2:17 am

And if you click on this proxy? Do you get a page with red text which says your workflow service is not connected?

8. Juan Carlos González
    06/30/13, 12:51 am

Hi Hayden,
    Did you solve your issue. As papouu says, be sure that the workflow service application is working and you have register the required web applications with the workflow service.
    Kind regards

9. Juan Carlos González
    06/30/13, 12:52 am

Hi ShahXeb,
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I dont’ remember if I have the kind of problema that you have experienced.
    Kind regards

10. Juan Carlos González
    06/30/13, 12:53 am

Hi Bruce,
    Thanks a lot for the tip. In this case, the post it’s based on a CloudShare template I built by myself.
    Kind regards

11. Juan Carlos González
    06/30/13, 12:53 am

You are really wellcome

12. SharePoint user
    07/24/13, 7:02 am

Hi there,

i’ve followed your installation instructions and everything seems fine. The databases were created and the connection between sharepoint and the workflow manager is established. I double checked this in Manage service application site in the SharePoint central administration.

However i still dont get the option to choose SharePoint 2013-Workflow Platform in SharePoint Designer. Any Ideas?

13. Benjamin Lavare
    07/27/13, 12:43 pm

Hello, it is a very nice article, but I have to say, I am using the SharePoint Server 2013 RTM CloudShare Template, and even after I have removed the ‘left over nasties’, still, I cannot create workflows with Visual Studio for example. It looks to me like there are left over nasties all over the place in the CloudShare Template…

14. Juan Carlos González
    07/27/13, 1:47 pm

Hi,
    Did you registered your Web Apps with the workflow server using the above PowerShell cmdlets?
    Kind regards

15. Juan Carlos González
    07/27/13, 1:50 pm

Hi Benjamin,

Well It can be that CloudShare SharePoint 2013 template has some issues,,,my recommendation is to create a SharePoint 2013 environment in CloudShare From scratch. In that way you will be sure that you have a complete control on the environment you are building.

Kind regards

16. SharePoint user
    07/30/13, 4:40 am

yes i did

17. Juan Carlos González
    07/30/13, 7:24 am

Well, it should work with the step by the step installation procedure explained in the post…my environment is an own one built from scratch in CloudShare

18. Vijai Anand
    09/10/13, 10:46 pm

Is it not possible to install in CloudShare SharePoint 2013 template trial version.

19. Chris Riley
    09/11/13, 8:46 am

Vijai,

It is possible simply start with a base Windows Server template and install what you wish. However we have a Pre-Configured SharePoint 2013 template to use.

20. Srdjan
    04/02/14, 6:14 am

I have successfuly passed all the steps until registering workflow service: I typed management shell command, and it got stuck in processing for several times:

21. Srdjan
    04/08/14, 6:32 am

Yes, I do get a message saying that “Workflow is Not Connected”.
    What should I do with this?

22. Srdjan
    04/09/14, 3:04 am

Any answer?

23. Rene Katerberg
    04/10/14, 3:16 am

use -Force and use fully qualified domain names for the WorkflowHostUri else you get an error when trying to publish your workflow because of a not trusted certificate (so use servername.domain.loc:12290 instead of servername:12290)

24. ron bolzern
    05/05/14, 9:05 am

You can’t use both https and -AllowOAuthHTTP.

25. Juan Carlos González
    06/05/14, 11:20 pm

You are really wellcome

26. Juan Carlos González
    06/05/14, 11:21 pm

Did you finally get it working?

27. Elber
    08/11/14, 6:47 am

I have “The caller does not have the necessary permissions required for this operation. Permissions granted: None. Required permissions: ReadScope.” error, when i browse the workflow management site.

28. Daniel Westerdale
    10/13/14, 2:13 pm

Hi I have followed the steps and can see my new Workflow Manager Site is up. When I open the browse the site http[IP_ADDRESS]:2291/” I am getting a login in prompt followed by a 403 error. I have checked the binding which is the same as my apps server site . Anybody else see this.

29. […] I followed this article to get my environment set up and succeeded on all steps: http://blog.cloudshare.com/2013/01/15/how-to-install-and-configure-workflow-infrastructure-in-sharep… […]

30. kad
    11/12/14, 5:11 am

Nice Document. Thnx.
    But is it possible to run workflow manager with SharePoint designer 2007?

31. Lakshmanan
    11/26/14, 4:30 am

Issue Fixed ?

32. Lakshmanan
    11/26/14, 4:36 am

Issue:

The caller does not have the necessary permissions required for this operation.
    Permissions granted: None. Required permissions: ReadScope.

Can you help me to fix this issue?

I have tried the following solution. But still I am getting
    the same error.

33. mosgoon
    02/12/15, 12:52 am

Thanks, this is more straightforward than the MSDN instructions. I had an error immediately after installation but that went after an IIS reset. Also some people may need to tick the “Allow HTTP workflows” option. Any way a very useful post. thanks again.